Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Plasma or LCD?

First, let me begin by saying that Plasma gets a bad rap, and there are several misconceptions about plasma TV's. 

They "do not" need refills of gas!

They also don't use that much more electricity than an LCD.

They do typically have a brighter, faster picture than most LCD's.

They are heavier due to the glass screen and need to transport upright, or you can and most likely will break them.  This is an issue that subsides as soon as you place it in the home.

They are more reflective than an LCD TV, so I typically lean LCD in a well lit room where you can't control the natural light.

Yes you can get burn in - this is rare and happens more in showrooms because they leave a menu on a screen for days on end.  Don't do that at home and you will be fine.  If you buy an open merchandise plasma - look for this on the screen.  Some plasmas have a "screen wipe" feature that is there to correct burn in.  Do this very sparingly, it is not good for the TV, it is like the self-cleaning mode on an oven - and basically institutes an even burn.

Personally, my next TV purchase will be a bedroom TV and it will be a plasma, probably a Samsung 42" and 720p.  In a future note I'll explain why I would stoop so low and buy a 720p.

1 comment:

  1. I have a Samsung 42" 720p Plasma in my living room, and LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete